Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Barring actually getting anything done, let's have a look at the pile and see what relics are situated toward the top. Of course, current placement in the upper strata means nothing in the big scheme of things. Once I do something stupid like lose a tool the orientation of stuff tends to be disrupted.

PACO E-200-C


I've been meaning to dive into an RF test generator for a while now, and it looks like the Precision Apparatus CO E-200-C is going to be my test bed. The goal, of course, is to squeak out something usable in the framework of audio while avoiding extensive modification. Of course, before I begin down that path, the unit must be gone through. Note the omission of a power switch..

..and, once this "fused" plug is severed and forever dropped into the odd parts bin, the omission of a fuse. I'm also not brimming with excitement regarding the circuit they've built to clean the hash out of the AC mains:
Why yes, those SEALDTITE caps DO tie to chassis ground.

Though I am gratified that this capacitor isn't sweating nitroglycerine, I'll wager what it is sweating is less than swell.
Obviously ready for retirement. I trust the rabid preservationists out there will forgive me my inability to source* replacement paper caps with cloth covered wire, I'll probably reuse that clamp though. (* or having sourced, the inability to justify the cloth wire premium) It would be cool though to drop another stick of dynamite into it, but since the enclosure is without peep slots I'll be happy with some new production shiny capacitor instead.

The OSC circuit itself is a thing of beauty, somewhat self contained on the rotary range selection bank. It's pretty much this section that convinced me to leave the fundamental circuit intact and attempt to implement the device at the frequencies it was built for. Simply put, I really don't want to hack any parts into this section, seeing as how it's a fine example of the quality of build that was more or less commonplace prior to the methodical erosion of quality ushered in by greed during the waning years of the 20th Century.


No comments: