Saturday, October 16, 2010

CNC Build, part one.

So, in order to be able to make two sided PCBs, cut face panels/enclosures and basically be able to reproduce multiple units of various things, it has been decided I need a CNC mill. I've been buying bits and pieces for going on a year now, and today I hauled home this old metal cabinet that will perform the duties of foundation to the machine:

I've laid my linear bearings out in a sort of imaginary mock-up, the gantry pair (horizontal in the pic) are pictured laying back and will actually be situated so as to support a vertical Z axis (the shortest of the lot). I'm planning on housing one of my huge 24 volt power supplies inside the case, greatly reducing tip over factor. Here's the fast and dirty low down of the planned build:

Phase 1) Work area 18x18x6 inches, moving gantry design. Linux EMC2 controlled.
Phase 2) Fabricate superior framework.
Phase 3) Vacuum table
Phase 4) Computer controlled variable speed control for the AC motor

We'll see how far down that list I get, I'm just happy to finally be able to photograph something besides to contents of boxes for this!

No comments: