Wednesday, November 17, 2010

And now for something completely different.. LASER tubes.


I thought I'd take a few pictures of these before packing them up and slotting them onto the maybe/eventually shelf. Standard light bulb is there for scale.


My friend Don saved these from entering the nebulous void that is the electronics recycling industry and shot them my way. At first, being in the midst of processing my CNC project, I thought "LASER etching/cutting!"; but a little research led me to believe that deploying a HeNe laser to cut material would be a lot like entering a stationary steam engine into a road race. I know lasers have been employed for measurement in the past, so I justify my ownership through scientific interest and onto the shelf they go. Plus, they sound pleasant when struck.


I still envision a death ray blasting forth from this point, thanks Hollywood!

No comments: