Tuesday, December 06, 2011

In case you haven't yet surmised, this is turning into amp month. I'll be busting the shell on a lot of neglected iron in the coming weeks, largely so I can get a current order of magnitude figured in relation to actual depths of the project pit.

This logo speaks class. What the hell happened where it became important to add obnoxious stuff like blue LEDs to garner attention from the buying public? I guess sliding backwards is movement too..

David Bogen H-30. I'd put my chips on the model number containing, in secret code, some indicator of output power range we're looking at here.

Apparently this was in a harvesting pile before I carted it off, which in my mind initially equated to being picked apart far more than it is. A couple wayward octal sockets, and a little this or that - but largely intact. All the iron is there, which is huge (assuming functionality). The upper and lower metalwork is absent, though who knows where they've wandered too. There remains a chance of recovery, and worse case this will offer a decent challenge in metalwork, should I decide to pursue restoration.

Of course, it's easier to understand this unit escaping a more thorough dismantling when we assess the condition of the guts.

Not the first line of selection when it comes to input connector either.

Hmmmm, We've passed beyond plug & play territory here.

Those caution yellow Sprague electrolytics appear to have a date code placing their manufacture in late 1965, they are most definitely the result of work after the original manufacture (which dates to the early 1950s unless I am mistaken).

This exoskeleton could hail from an era in which a civil nuclear mishap was unheard of.

Here's a tired 1 watt carbon comp resistor, ready to offer up its own special mix of thermal, shot & contact noise. This means it will always have a home somewhere..

Does the CDE Black Cub predate the CDE Black Cat? I guess that question is not really germane, what does matter is that this capacitor has no business tying AC mains line to chassis.

The 1950s era plasticizers used in the power cable have evaporated, or otherwise migrated beyond the confines of the insulation on the AC mains wire. Eh, I would want a grounded cord anyway. I wonder what ratio of that nice fluffy cord filler is asbestos. Sorry, hazardous substances have been on my mind of late, just wait.

Depending on condition a bit father in, away from heat sources, this cable may find itself a new purpose as speaker wire.

No comments: