Thursday, January 26, 2012

Removed my Webster 288-1 wire recorder from less than optimal storage conditions yesterday.

Electronic Memory?

No. Magnetic Media.. ..let's take a closer look at that, shall we?

A ferrous thread, upon which resides the imprint of brute force magnetics. Granted, there are supporting electronics involved, but given our current vantage point in regards to technology this device seems a few generations removed from "Electronic Memory". I wonder what form our current technical parlance would take, had this use of words stuck.

Beautiful logo. I can't fault the machine or designers (or, as is more probable the case: marketing) for such goofy use of terminology. It adds to the charm.

Input is a three pin Beau / Cinch-Jones connector.

Today was the first time I've seen reference to Beau in regards to the classic Cinch-Jones plug configuration. I approve. Looks like a recent company, hopefully they will support and provide all manner of "antiquated" connectors.

I was quite apprehensive about cracking the closed case after retrieving this from a humid environment, thankfully it would appear as if adverse effects were somewhat minimal. This moldy looking splotch bears the outline of the knobs for good reason, that point is situated in very close proximity to the bakelite knob. A few thoughts spring to mind: Perhaps as the organic elements of the material decompose an outgassing of molecular nutrients is deposited on nearby surfaces, establishing a rich base upon which mold grows. Perhaps the mark is a build up of deposits of the vapor itself. Or maybe it is mold and just prefers to grow where air movement is minimized. I'm still considering the mold theory suspect, I believe this is a very early stage of the white film problem I spoke of here.

Eh, I'll be happy if it cleans up and doesn't return now that the Webster is safely back to climate control.

No comments: